RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, May 11, 2008

Uniqueness


I was also thinking today about the uniqueness of each of my children, and then of my grandchildren.


God created 15 individuals from me and my husband, each one is unique. And I was counting the ways in which each child and then grandchild is different from the other.
I had 19 years of learning the differences (the uniqueness) of each of my children before they started to leave the nest. Each child was certainly different, not just in temperament but in appearance.


Both of my girls are beautiful and they have become beautiful women. What shines through is their love for others and their love of God. My daughters resemble neither me nor my husband, but have just the right combination of both of us to make them unique. My son looks like Alan, but he also looks like me. Some say he's the spitting image of his father, others say he looks like me. I can't tell, I think he looks like Phil. Unique.


These three children married, and each had children -- my grandchilden -- and each child born to these children (mine) are also unique.


So each grandchild has a uniqueness about him or her that sets them apart from each other. They have different personalities, they look different, they have different qualities.
For instance, I was thinking especially about Adam. The picture of him (above) was taken while he was waiting for his dad to instruct him, and he wasn't aware I was taking his picture.

I haven't written about Adam, but Adam is the most unique, I think, of all the children. Not in a strange way. He frowns a lot and is lost in his own thoughts. But when he smiles his whole face lights up and it transforms his whole body. He goes from slump to straight, just that fast. Adam is kind, but he is feisty. He is a tease. He loves battle gear and loves to fight imaginary battles. Now, that's not strange, nor is it unique for a boy of 8, but he battles so well even by himself.

I love Adam. He even looks different from the other children in his own family. Some say he looks just like Alan. I think he looks just like his father's father (Doc). And I believe his thinking time is something he gets from both grandfathers. I have a picture of my son when he was about three and he resembles Adam a lot, but I don't see that resemblence now.


So, Adam, my precious grandson, I love you, and pray that as you learn to love the Lord more you will grow into a servant of His, just like your daddy.

No comments: