RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, May 12, 2008

More on family sayings

Well, we've been Dio ti benedica-ing each other and our grandchildren since last Friday. Remember Dio ti benedica means "God Bless You" in Italian? Seems there's a lot of pollen around this area this year and even I, who haven't been bothered by allergies in 35 years, am having problems. It seems the sun porch is my worst enemy right now. Bummer.

My dear granddaughter, Toria, was having such a bad time on Friday night when we were scrap-booking that I had to leave the monthly crop-fest early to take her home. I had Benedrilled up so I was okay, mostly.

Well, I was thinking about the family, as I often do, especially on family occasions like Mother's Day, and I remembered another word that we used every single day. After daddy said "grace" or the family said "grace" depending on my father's mood that day, someone would say Mangia -- EAT.

As we got ready for dinner yesterday (Mother's Day) Beck stopped in with her family and a bucket of Kentucky Fried. After Daniel thanked God for the earth, his family, and the food, he said, "Amen." Automatically, I said, "Mangia." I haven't done that for a while. I guess it's the presence of more than two people at the table that evokes that memory, of prayer, then "Mangia," because at home the table was always crowded and noisy. Reflex action on my part!

No comments: