RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, March 25, 2008

High School


I don't know what to write about high school. I attended Triton Regional High School (it was named Triton, not after the Greek god, but because there were three towns that would be attending the school. Actually, it was two towns and a township, which encompassed another 3 towns (or so). I never got that straight. But somehow there were three towns involved when the high school was originally concepted.
I wasn't "popular" in high school (I was in grade school). I was well-known, just not "popular." That was okay, I had better fish to fry than to be a cheerleader or be in the "in crowd." The "in crowd" by and large were not geeks. Not that I was a geek, but I was in the "college prep" curriculum along with about 1/3 of my fellow classmates. Right there, that tells you I was in the minority.
I was in Future Nurses of America, because for a while I wanted to be a nurse. Then I was in Future Teachers of America, because I thought I wanted to be a teacher. I got a scholarship to the state teachers college at Glassboro, NJ because I stuck with the teacher thing. I was in the girls chorus. The school choir. I tried out for NJ All-state chorus. I was in the orchestra (I played violin). I was part and parcel of every school concert in the four years I attended high school. I was in Future Homemakers of America -- why? I don't know. My mom taught me all I needed to know about being a homemaker, and much better than FHA did, but I thought it was something I should be in. Do you see where I'm going with this?
I was one busy teenager. There was something for me to do everyday after school, and I opted out of study hall so I could be in the Glee Club/Orchestra/Chorus and, yes, the Triton Players. I never got a part. But -- ta da -- I attended every play that the Triton Players put on in those four years. Does that count? I suppose not.
I graduated in the top 5 percent of the class. Big whoops! I didn't graduate first, so what does it matter. I met the one and only love of my life in high school in my junior year -- he's still the one and only love of my live, my dear husband, Alan. I think that was the best part of high school. That one brief year we had together, which was only about six months, really. But it was a great part of high school, and really the only part I remember well.


No comments: