RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Going to bed routine


When I was a child, there was a routine before going to bed. And, I suppose most parents have a routine for putting their child(ren) to bed. I know Alan and I did. But this isn't about Alan's and my routine. This is about my mother's routine. My father was most often not home at bed-time because he was either at a church meeting, or a board meeting, or a Bible School teaching session.



(the picture is not of any family member).

When we were getting ready for bed, of course we had to be washed (bathing was only permitted on Saturday night -- I wrote about that before). If we were dirty we got a thorough cleansing, including the feet and ears and hair. Then we had to brush our teeth. I used to just suck the toothpaste off the toothbrush and call it a day. Then mom would have us kneel beside the bed and say our prayer -- always starting with:

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep,

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen.

The would follow the God blesses -- God bless mommy and daddy, Debby, Markie, Diddle, Aunt Annie, Uncle Joe, Aunt Rita, Uncle Joe, Aunt Francis, Uncle Howard, and God bless the missionaries. Amen.

Noticeably missing from the "God blesses" was the cousins. Hmmm.

I don't recall any stories being read or told to me, but I do recall mom quoting some scripture each evening.

Sometimes the God blesses included one of my friends, but usually I was in a hurry to get between the sheets and get my goodnight kiss and hug from mom. She really did smell good. I remember her smelling of roses. And she was always smiling.

So, I now pray that God will bless those who read this BLOG in some way.

No comments: