RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, July 3, 2008

The fourth of July


If you're up late on the 3rd you will read this ahead of when you're supposed to. However, if you are reading this on the 4th, you are getting it right.

It's late on the 3rd so I figure not too many will read this homage to the 4th of July ahead of when it's supposed to be read.

I have a confession to make. I always cry on the 4th of July. The beginning of a 4th of July parade makes me cry. The fire-engines in the parade make me cry. The veterans as they pass in review make me cry. The sweet, sweet babies in their decorated carriages make me cry. I just am a cry-baby. But I love a 4th of July parade.

Then, there are the fireworks. I always cry at the end of the big celebration -- that last hurrah firework that goes boom, boom, boom, boom, boom -- ad infinitum -- well, it just makes me cry. Maybe I'm crying because the celebration of our nation's birth is over for another year, and I wonder what the next year will hold and will we still have this wonderful country to celebrate next year.

Oh, I didn't think of those types of things when I was a child -- and I cried even back then. Let's face it, I'm a crier.

If you want to see other writings on past 4th of July celebrations, just click on the 4th of July link on the side of the page and it will take you to those ramblings. Happy 4th everyone. Remember what we're celebrating. It's not just a day off from work, or a day to party, the day was set aside to honor our fore-fathers and what they did so that we can have the best country in the entire world. Think about that.

No comments: