RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Winning

My friend and former co-worker (at Answers in Genesis -- http://www.answersingenesis.org) Stacia, wrote an article for her Blog (http://www.notesfromtheholler.blogspot.com/) Notes from the Holler, stating that she had finally won something.

I replied to her saying I had never won anything in my 65 years. Then as I was trying to get to sleep last night I thought about that. What is winning? What is the difference between winning and earning?

Let's see if I can explain.

You will recall that "I won" a blueberry pie eating contest (prize $1) when I was 8 or 9 -- well, that was "earned." I had to do something to get that reward.

"I won" a college scholarship. Actually I earned that by default because my dad was the poorest breadwinner of all the applicants.

"I won" a tennis tournament when I was a junior in high school. I got a marvelous trophy for that. I would say I earned that award -- it was hard work. I played all summer and finally it came down to me and another girl, whose name I don't even remember, and after a hard-fought set, "I won."

I've won several awards for selling lots of scrapbooking products. But that was because I worked to get those sales, and really didn't get something for nothing. I earned them.

Can we consider the money all taxpayers are getting after they file their tax returns a winning or an award? I can't even consider where that fits in, since I don't WIN anything, but probably more taxes, and I don't believe I earned it.

Stacia said she "won" her husband. I would say my husband was a "reward." A reward from God. He (my husband) is exactly who God wanted me to marry, and he "fits" perfectly. My brashness is counterbalanced by his meekness. My "let's do it now" mentality, is counterbalanced by his "let's pray about it." See what I mean. He was a reward from our Father.

So while Stacia "won" a prize for doing nothing but entering her name in a contest and getting randomly picked, I guess I've won some things throughout my life -- or rather, I've earned them.

No comments: