RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, April 6, 2008

Just out of reach

Today was a wonderful day weather wise. It was sunny, high in the high 60s, and a gentle breeze. The sun porch was the place to be.

Alan decided to join me today -- a first since we enclosed our deck/veranda/lanai -- and it was so pleasant just sitting out there reading -- he his book, me mine.

Then something happened that reminded me of something I don't think I've BLOGged before about my father's teasing. Oh, I've BLOGged about his teasing but not this particular stunt.

My brother Mark and I are masters at this one!

When we were sitting at a table and someone would ask for, say, the salt, if it was near daddy he would hand it to you just out of reach, and as you grabbed for it he would slowly pull it back until you almost lay sprawled across the table!

So, today I was handing Alan a Dr. Pepper and didn't even realize I was pulling that trick that dad pulled on us so often, and which when I get together with my brother Mark, we reprise. I handed him the can, and as he reached for it, I pulled back and started to leave the room. He said, "Your just like your father." I stopped. I knew what he meant, and I laughed. Then I really pulled the stunt on him with the glass of ice -- on purpose!!!!

Now, it's almost dinner time, and I asked him where we were going for supper. He said, "Waffle House" knowing that I will never, even if I am starving to death on a deserted island where the only place to eat is a Waffle House, enter a Waffle House. Been there, done that, hated it, still feel greasy!

So, where are going for dinner? No where. That's the response when he doesn't want to go anywhere for dinner. Guess he's having frozen pizza for supper. I might even heat it up in the oven.

No comments: