RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Kindergarten 4 - Friends

Several things come to mind, but I want to write about a situation gone bad, but I kept the friend.

We got out of school at 3:00 p.m. and one day I was invited to go to one of my friends houses right after school, which was a definite no-no.  My mom wanted me to come directly home from school.  This I knew, but I figured I could be to her house, she could change her clothes, and I could be home before the big kids got out of school.  She didn't live far from the school.

But, I didn't know that my friend had to do some chores as well when she got home, and instead of going home alone and letting her come later, I helped her with her chores.  Needless to say I didn't get home shortly after kindergarten let out, and I didn't get home before the big kids went home.  I did get home when my mom found out where I went.

When I saw her walking up the street as I was walking down the street to go home with my friend, I knew I was in real trouble.  Mom, however, was very nice to me and my friend and she let us play together.  However, when my friend had to go home on her mother's orders, I got the full blast of my mothers disdain with what I had done.

I had worried her to death.  I had disobeyed her.   I had caused her to have to leave my sister and brothers with daddy for her to come looking for me.  Therefore, I was also in trouble with my father.

I don't remember what the punishment was, but I'm sure a spanking was in there somewhere.  I probably was not permitted to have friends over for a week, nor was I to play with anyone on the street.

My friends name?  Joan Berryman.

After kindergarten, Joan and I were in different classes so we didn't get together very often, but I sure remember that day.

ttfn

1 comment:

Judy Lucas said...

Judi- I'm glad I wasn't the only one who did this....only I was much older and should have known better. My Mom & Dad were really upset! I had to go to bed without supper!! That was the only time I did that, for sure! Judy