RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rusticity

I have nothing against rusticity -- is that even a word? I love the quiet, the deer that come to my deck, the skunk that runs away from my car, the breezes coming in the window with a fresh, clean smell, the ability to see the Milky Way, and probably some other things I'm missing.

What I don't love is the spiders -- furry, little beasts that crawl on me in bed. I've killed three of them so far -- all wanting to crawl on me in bed. Charlotte's children they are not.

I don't love the fact that I had to BUY a G3 stick for my computer so I could have internet. They don't even have dial-up here! I have decent cell service, which I needed for the G3 thingy, but if I move my computer an inch I lose my cell service. I have great service in the middle of the bed, but near the pillows, not so much. Go figure. At least I can use my cell phone, mostly.

I don't love the fact that this place didn't supply what I consider necessities -- sugar, coffee, salt, pepper, dish cloth, toilet paper, paper towels. But that was easily remedied by a two-hour trip to the not-so-local grocery store. It took us about 15 minutes to find the store, even with the directions -- handwritten -- we were given. But that's okay, because we did find the Radio Shack with no problem. Could that be because it was right next door to the Shop Rite? Probably.

I love the ability to read and read and read (my Kindle) without feeling guilty that I'm vegging and not doing housework.

I am very grateful that they provided a washing machine and drier. However...the doors that hide the appliances are folding. They fold and unfold well, but no matter how far I open or close the doors, I have a difficult time with the drier door. And the washer door (lifts up) is barred by the shelf they put above the appliances to hold soap (which they didn't provide) and towels and face cloths.

We have today and tomorrow and then we will, Lord willing, be in Runnemede, my hometown. I am sooooo looking forward to getting there, and being there for a few days.

If you're reading this, please pray that my legs hold up, and that Alan's legs support him.

ttfn

No comments: