Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

You asked for it -- Lori

Lori asked that I talk about my wedding.
Well, tomorrow, August 27, is Alan's and my 42nd wedding anniversary. We were married at 10:00 a.m. I wanted it early because, well, you know...
I wanted it early because it was in August and it is usually cool enough to breath in the morning, but gets really hot in the afternoon (in New Jersey).
This is Alan and me after we are married (a whole 5 minutes) as we're leaving the church getting ready for the "rice throw." No rose petals in those days. No bird seed either. It was rice, white rice, and it stuck in my well sprayed hair. Pictures were taken at the photographer's studio -- that's another tale for another day.
Please notice that my hair is in a flip and relatively straight. I had given my self an un-perm (Curl Free) and until I washed my hair it stayed straight. But I didn't wait the seven days you're supposed to wait, so the next day, after I had a shower, my hair was one massive blob of curls. I didn't care at that point. I just wanted it to look nice for my wedding, and it did.
My mom woke me that morning at 7:00 a.m. I was miffed. I wanted to sleep a little longer, but she thought I needed that much time to get ready. I don't think so. I had bathed the night before, I was NOT going to have to do anything but comb my hair, as I slept with a hair-net on my previously uncurled hair; and, of course, get dressed. But all my undies and my dress were laid out and I figured I could get ready in about one-half hour. Make-up wasn't worn in those days (it was a sin) but I did sneak in some lipstick just before the ceremony. And, I knew I would not eat breakfast. So I figured I could sleep until at least 8:30 a.m.
The church was a mere 50 steps from the back door. Well, maybe 100 steps. But you get my drift. I didn't have to get into a car. I dressed at home. And at precisely five minutes to 10, I walked over to the church to get married.
I saw Alan arrive at 9:30 a.m. And my flowers had arrived about the same time. I was all set. My brother took Alan's boutonniere over to him and the other groomsmen (of which he was one). And at precisely 10:00 a.m. I walked down that aisle to become married. To become a wife.
And Alan told me I looked beautiful. What more can I say?

1 comment:

Lori said...

I can't believe that you got annoyed that your mom woke you up early on your wedding day!!! hahaha That cracks me up. I could barely sleep the night before and was up at the crack of dawn on my wedding day. I was a ball of nerves. Thanks for the picture and happy anniversary tomorrow!