RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, August 25, 2008

I wish...

A wish is a dream the heart makes.... (Jiminy Crickett in Pinocchio).

Well, maybe that's true. I recently read a book by Debbie McComber entitled Twenty Wishes. It's a book about several women and they get together for someone's birthday, and decide that they are going to make twenty wishes and write them down and then see how many of them come to fruition. Well, in fiction, wishes always come true, right? BTW, it's a good book.

So, today I was thinking about wishes. Some are STAT for women, some were mine alone.

  • First and foremost, every little girl wants to get married. That's wish #1.
  • Every little girl wishes her chest would develop faster than it does.
  • After the little girl grows up and gets married, her next wish is to have a baby.
  • Some women wish to get a good job and become career women. Good for them, not for me, though.
  • I personally, after having my children, wanted them to grow up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. This is not a wish of many people.
  • I wished to go to Kenya with Alan and see where he grew up. God granted that and we were able to take a short missionary trip to Kenya. What a wonderful, blessed trip.

You see, for me, wishes are really prayers. And I have a connect with the only "wish granter" in the world, my Lord God, the Creator of the Universe, the one true God, the I AM, the Alpha and Omega. I could go on with more names for my God.


I know this really has nothing to do with Runnemede, but I was thinking about this around 3 a.m. -- I do my best thinking then. And yes, it does have to do with Runnemede because being the daughter of a pastor whose life was God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and who everyday spoke God's Word to his children, and who lived most of his life in Runnemede, I guess it does have to do with growing up in Runnemede, because that's where my Biblical foundation was spawned and birthed and where it grew in me.

So, how many wishes have you made in your life? Are they God honoring, or selfish. I know for me, there have been many more wishes (more money, more money, more money) but where is the happiness that only God can give in that. He has promised to supply our needs not our wants. But he also has said he would give us the desires of our hearts. I believe that is true, only if that desire is part of His gifting to us.

Sorry, didn't mean to preach. ttfn

No comments: