RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, December 27, 2007

South Jersey

You know you're from South Jersey if...

http://www.elktownship.com/sj7.html

It's an irreverent look at the things we experienced, mostly, in the late 50s and through the 60s by living in South Jersey.

The Jersey Devil was always part of campfire stories at the camp in the woods. Never saw it myself though. Guess I went to the wrong woods. For those of you not from South Jersey -- the woods are also known as the forest. But because the forest is so small, they call it the woods.

I love the line that says that you know you're from South Jersey if you get yourself some jersey corn and tomatoes and make a meal of it. I still do that. Only the corn and tomatoes are raised in Indiana. They're good, but after getting some really good tomatoes and corn a couple of summers ago, they can't compare to Jersey's home-grown produce. It must be the soil. And, you've gotta add a little basil to the whole mix, along with salt and pepper.

And yes, we do pronounce coffee funny, at least I'm told I do, caw fee? And water as well. I remember when we first moved here to Cincinnati (just north of where we live now) and I asked for water to drink. The waitress didn't know what I was talking about. I repeated it. Still she hadn't a clue. Finally, I spelled it. "Ah," said she, "Wah ter." "Yeh," said I. Then she said, "Please?" With the question mark after it -- like she was asking me to say "Please" for the water I ordered. Come to find out, that "Please?" out here means "huh?" in south jersey.


Anyway, if you get a chance browse through the South Jersey list. And then, you younger folks can ask (aks) me if the postings are true.

One thing not on the list and I'm reluctant to put it on because I've corrected so many people who actually live there, but, you know you're from south Jersey when you say "pitcher" when you mean "picture."

'Nuf said.

No comments: