RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, December 7, 2007

Christmas Presents


It just isn't the same. I mean, today I ordered 10 presents on-line in less than 10 minutes. Done! No walking from store to store, no looking at the pretty displays in windows, no slipping and sliding on the ice, no sticking out my tongue to collect snowflakes, just sit down, go to Amazon.com or ToysRUs.com, and bit-a-bang, the shopping is done.

I have to say, I am enjoying the MEMORY of shopping. My knees hate shopping now days. Today especially they would rebel -- as they have been all morning -- because it's cold and damp. Even the high-doses of pain relievers I take doesn't help much on a day like today. So, I shop on-line in the comfort of the nearly warm office and the only thing that hurts is my arthritic pinkie!

I envy you young folks who can walk, enjoy walking (I used to), and can get a kick out of shopping -- I even used to love window shopping, especially since that's all I could afford. Now window shopping on-line just isn't the same. So much to look at -- or make that TOO MUCH to look at.

Now begins the wrapping -- which I really have NEVER, EVER enjoyed doing -- as I mentioned before. My wrappings look like a 6-year-old threw up a piece of wrapping paper around a gift. It's the best I can do. No sharp corners like my father's picture-perfect present wrapping. But, I will move on and get that done, AFTER...Christmas card addressing -- that's the next hurdle in my long list of obstacles to my sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the pleasantness of Christmas.

I do love Christmas. I love the Lord, my Savior, and if it weren't for His love for me, there would be no Christmas, would there? I love the tradition and the hymns of Christmas. I love the message of the true Christmas -- Christ Mass. I enjoy the cold weather -- even though it cramps my style so to speak (the knees don't like the cold). I love the snow, and in my mind's eye I can see myself falling backward and making snow angels again. Notice I said in my mind's eye. If I got down to make a snow angel I would never get up without a fork lift or crane.

I still enjoy the pageantry of Christmas -- grandchildren's programs, church cantata, etc. And, in those I can participate as an onlooker and remember what it was like when I was a real participant.

1 comment:

Fro said...

S'funny. The internet shopping is one of the few things I like better than old-fashioned Christmas. Altho I do miss the Salvation Army ringers. Haven't seen much of them this year even at Kroger, tho. Hmm.