RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, December 16, 2007

Elderly people

I remember most of the people in Runnemede that were in our church when I was a youngster as elderly, even though they were mostly the same age or even younger than my parents. If they were over 25 they were OLD.

Here's a rabbit -- why is it after I got married I felt it was okay to call Mrs. so-and-so by her first name whereas before I was married I felt very uncomfortable, or even rude, to call Mrs. So-and-so other than Mrs. So-and-so?

Back to the elderly. Dad's church did have many older people -- by that I mean they were older than my mom and dad and since mom was 35 when she had me, those people whom I'm considering elderly were at least 45 -- most, though were in their 60s.

I loved those ladies (mostly they were widows). Mrs. Mahorter lived across the street. I've mentioned her before. She always welcomed my knock at her door and often gave me a cookie or a piece of candy. And she taught me to read clouds, and played that game with me for hours and hours, day after day. I never tired of finding dogs in the clouds.

Mrs. Cairns was the grandmother of three of my friends so I know she had to be an elder woman. She made great cookies also. She was also a favorite baby-sitter.

Grandmom Aspling lived five blocks away, and I'd walk over there at least once a week because I loved her house and she was a great cookie maker as well. I knew where to get fed! She let me help her clean. Now, cleaning is not my idea of fun. Never has been, but with Grandmom Aspling it was fun. I'd go home and tell my mom how Grandmom had let me help her wash her kitchen floor, and mom picked up on that and let me help her. It just wasn't the same -- not fun helping mom clean the kitchen floor. Why do you suppose that is?

One more, not so elderly lady (she was my mom's age) -- Aunt Blanche. Aunt Blanche was the BEST Sunday school teacher. She taught me more Bible verses than anyone else ever did. She also had Good News Club at her home, which I attended for many years. Best thing about Aunt Blanche was that if you sat next to her in church she always gave you (meaning I didn't always beat out others for that seat) a package of Life Savers. Is there anything better than that? Aunt Blanche's husband, Uncle El, took the teenagers in the back of his pick-up truck to Friday night teen get togethers at Camp Haluwasa (a Christian camp), where we would sing, have Bible drills (I was the champion for several years), play ping-pong, and get a Bible lesson. It was such fun.


These ladies all loved the Lord and taught me verses and life lessons. I thank God for them. They are all with Him now and I shall see them again. Can't wait!

No comments: