RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, December 16, 2007

Church closed

NEVER!!! When I was growing up, no matter what the circumstance or weather, church was open, ALWAYS!

Last night I watched the crawl across the bottom of the TV screen during the 11 o'clock news. Church after church was closed on Sunday. Why? Well, the weather prognosticators -- who had been so very wrong so far with the "storm" in which we were engulfed -- had suggested that another four inches of snow was coming. So, I suppose panicked pastors and elders all over the tri-state (KY, IN, OH) decided it would be too dangerous for parishoners to attend church on Sunday, based on man's guess at what the weather was going to be. How sad.

Growing up we had snowstorms -- church was open. My mother died on a Sunday, church was open and dad preached at both services. We had cold weather. Church was open. We had no heat, church was open. No matter what, church was open. Was attendance normal -- no, but at least the doors were open and those who decided that getting to church was important to them were there.

One of my fellow BLOGgers wrote an essay on Christmas songs and how she (as well as I) dislike the way Christmas has gone the way of the world. Well, so have churches. It's so sad. I would never have imagined church being closed due to a prophetic weather condition -- and one that most pastors and other deciders should realize rarely are correct. Why not wait and see? Praise God some churches did. Not ALL churches were closed due to inclement weather -- which, by the way, wasn't that bad -- a tad cold, a bit blustery, but not slippery.

I might add that today nobody walks to church anymore. When I was growing up and until I left home, most folks walked to church. But isn't walking just as dangerous as driving in bad weather? Perhaps worse.

I think it's wonderful that people want to protect me and others from the dangers of driving in inclement weather, but what about God. Don't you think we could ask him for protection so we could get to church to worship Him -- He who sent his Son for our salvation?

Oh, yes, none of the Malls or stores were closed today! And, the parking lots are full!

No comments: