RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, December 7, 2007

It's a blah day!

Why is it that children do not remember "blah" days. I don't, do you? I remember sick days, contagious disease days, slow-moving days, but "blah" days? No, I don't recall any. Maybe it wasn't a word back then. Remember, I'm old -- elderly -- so my jaded memories of growing up may be just that -- jaded -- no blahs.

Today, again, we had snow -- just a little -- more ice, actually than snow, but it added to the Christmas "feel" of the day. However, now the snow/sleet/ice/rain has moved on to West Virginia, and all we're left with is a cloudy, blah day.

What is "blah" anyway? Unadorned, cooked broccoli is blah. Honeymoon salad is blah (lettuce alone). Nothing to do is blah -- I have plenty to do, just don't want to do any of the "plenty" I have to do. Being away from children and siblings is blah. I guess I'm on a "I miss my sister" jag again. Why is that? When we were growing up I wanted her to go away and leave me alone, never to return. Now, I can't seem to get enough of her presence, her voice, her encouragement, her love. Wow!

I'm writing this and trying very hard to think of one, just one, blah time back in Runnemede when I was growing up. Surely there is one. Even laying in bed, being sick wasn't blah -- mom would get out the scrapbook I was working on -- not like today's scrapbooks, let me tell you. My scrapbook was a pad of paper, plain, no lines, and into this book I had pasted with that wonderful paste we had back then that tasted good, pictures from cards mom had saved and that she would let me cut up to include in the scrapbook. She also was a magazine saver, so when I was sick, she'd dig out her Better Homes and Gardens magazines (old ones) and let me cut out pictures of gardens or food or whatever I wanted to paste in my scrapbook.

Now, why am I all of a sudden remembering that scrapbook -- long lost memory in the recesses of my mind? I don't know. I guess it's because all I want for Christmas this year, really, is a scrapbook filled with drawings that my grandchildren have made. I gave my daughter, Becky, a large album to fill with these drawings and really, that's all I want. I love their drawings -- the grandchildren's that is -- but my refrigerator just isn't big enough to hold them all. Remember I have 12 grandchildren -- 10 of which can draw if they want to, or are forced to, I guess.

Actually, my grandchildren must get their great grandmother's talent for drawing. My oldest grandchild, Shandon, does beautiful work, he's great on perspective, and likes to draw entire towns. Toria is a great scrapbooker and her scrapbooks (picture albums) show how talented she is in this respect. Jonah is just learning to write and draw, but his work shows great promise. Adam? I'm not sure about his work yet. I think with Adam, he MUST draw, so he puts something on the paper -- he makes really good circles -- something I can't do, so he does have talent, if only it could be harnessed.

Rosie, David, and Rachel like to draw as well, and Rosie's work has greatly improved since she's been in school, as has David's. Rachel is a good color-er.

Annie and Grace are wonderful artists. They have an intuitive artistic eye and can see what they want to do and do it. Annie is very precise, and Grace -- well Grace just is talented. Dan likes to draw fast, and I have to admit, while he has improved in the past couple of years, I still have a difficult time deciphering what he has drawn, which is okay. He has a good eye for the abstract.

I didn't mention the babies -- Elliana and Matthew -- well, because their "art" work is mostly non-existent at this point.

Art work -- blah day? Not connected, but then most of these BLOGs end up on a different trail than the one originally taken.

No comments: