RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, December 23, 2007

In ten minutes

In ten minutes from the start of my writing this BLOG it will be Christmas Eve 2007. Yeah! There's something so quiet about Christmas Eve. Even with all the hustle and bustle of final gift wrapping, keeping the gifts a surprise for the children, last minute baking, last minute shopping, etc., Christmas Eve is still quiet -- at least to me it is.

The quiet really hits around 6 p.m. Before that, it's much like any other day -- except traffic is worse and the stores are more crowded. But by 6 p.m., yep, it get quiet.

I noticed that when I was a kid, too. It's like the world is anticipating something, and so it become quiet while waiting for what they are anticipating to appear or take place.

I remember on several clear Christmas Eve evenings going into the back yard and looking up into the sky hoping that I, little old me, would see a host of angels telling me to "Fear not". Wouldn't that have been the coolest thing?

I remember Christmas Eves when we were just about ready to get into bed, and "hark" there would be carolers regaling us with their songs of comfort and joy. Then the quiet descended once again.

So, now, it's down to five minutes, and then the quiet will either begin or wait until after 6 p.m., but it will come. Christmas Eve quiet. Listen for it.

No comments: