RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, May 11, 2009

The day after (Mother's day)

From our balcony, last night at sea. Sunset somewhere between Nassau, Bahahams, and Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA. It was a beautiful last view of the sun before getting off the boat.


How can I give thanks for the things He has done for me? An Andre Couch first-liner to the song "To God be the Glory."

After Saturday and Sunday, I can't give enough thanks to God for giving me such a great batch of children and grandchildren. On Saturday I visited with my youngest and her brood, on Sunday, my middle child and her family spent a few hours with me. My son called on Sunday night, and I actually had a conversation with him. He, like his father, is not a phone-talker. But I have to say it was nice seeing everyone and talking with those I had opportunity to talk to.

As I mentioned yesterday, I only wish I had been able to be with my mom on Mother's day and I wish I had known then what I know now, about being faithful in contacting her. I'm so happy my children live close enough that we can enjoy each other's company from time to time.

Today is Monday, and it is another beautiful day. God has provided us with three sun-filled days, and the temperatures in the low 70s, which is wonderful for me. I'm not really into 80s and 90s. The pool work is going forward. Today, they were working on the gate, getting it to stay shut when it's supposed to. And on Wednesday, the pool furniture will be thoroughly cleaned and put in place for another season.

I love this time of year because I love the pool, and my condo looks over the pool, so I can see all that's going on down there. And it's the time of year when I think of all the walking I WANT to do, but probably won't do because of the leg problems.

Realizing this script has nothing to do with my favorite small town, Runnemede, NJ, I shall say adieu, and recall, fondly some of the times when my mom was preparing for the summer season -- all those things having to do with house-keeping chores like cleaning and changing out the curtains, making sure the storm windows were replaced with screens, putting slip covers on the furniture so that sandy, dirty feet marks could easily be cleaned up. After all, summer was barefoot season. So, I'll go sit on my sun-porch and reminisce about those times when I was growing up.

One of my grandchildren said to me yesterday that he didn't particularly like childhood. I told him, someday you will, and will only remember the good things, not the bad things, and your childhood will be something you reflect on from time to time. Enjoy your childhood while you can. It will be gone very soon, and you'll have all the responsibilities of adulthood, which, I can guarantee you aren't fun. We left it at that.

ttfn

No comments: