RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, January 24, 2009

I feel like I should say something

But nothing comes to mind.

I saw Cake Wrecks' title today (Do you know what time it is?) and that reminded me of The Howdy Doody Show, but really that started with: Kids! Do you know time it is? And all the kids shouted back, "It's Howdy Doody Time," at which point the song:

It's Howdy Doody Time
It's Howdy Doody time
Bob Smith says Howdy Doo
and Howdy Doody, too.

Let's give a rousing cheer,
'cause Howdy Doody's here
It's time to start the show,
So kids let's go!

And then the show would be off with Clarabel, the clown, Phinneas T. Bluster, Captain Scuttlebut, Flubberdub, Princess SummerFallWinterSpring, and others.

I was so little then, and mostly I had to watch it at friend's homes because we still didn't have a TV. It came on after school was out, at 4 o'clock, I think. I was about 7 when I first saw the program. And the catchy opening tune was easy to learn. I wanted to go be on the show, but it wasn't a show that was broadcast out of Philadelphia, like Willie the Worm was, so I was never one of the studio kids. And Willie the Worm didn't have children in its audience. That's Willie with Gene Lockhart (old movie actor).

All these shows were puppet shows, along with Punch and Judy and Kukla, Fran, and Ollie. We were mesmorized by puppets. Can you imagine today's children being held spellbound by simple hand puppets, or string puppets? I frankly can't. But it would be nice.

ttfn

No comments: