RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday sayings

Let me just say that we didn't have a "super bowl Sunday" when I was growing up. It wasn't until I got married, in 1966, that I even heard about a super bowl, Alan being the football fanatic he was and is.

Having digressed from the re-opening of "Sunday sayings", I shall continue.

"Blast, dash, darn, confound" was an expression using instead of a four-letter word that started with a "d" and ends with an "n" and has "am" in the middle. A good expression when you hit your thumb with a hammer, or can't find something in the junk drawer (doesn't everyone have one?), or when you slip on the ice and fall down, or -- make up your own list.

It wasn't used very often in our house when I was a youngster, but as I got older and my parents got older and started doing stupid stuff like hitting your thumb with a hammer, I heard it more often. Mostly I used it when I missed an answer on a homework assignment.

Enough said.

ttfn

No comments: