Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The garage

Oh, how I wish I had a picture for this posting. If you look at the snow picture, the garage is barely visible on the left of the walk way.

When I was a little girl, I mean pre-pre-teen, I used to play in the garage. I pretended it was a playhouse.

Now, the garage housed the incinerator, the lawn mowers -- I think there was three of them -- hand-pushed style, all moms gardening tools, and some spare lumber. These were spread along one wall and behind one door of the garage. The rest was free space.

I would sweep it out each spring, and make rooms in there with chalk on the floor, and by arranging the outdoor furniture that was also housed in the garage. It was a fun place for me to play. And dry. I could play in there when it rained.

Of course, I had the back porch in which to play school, since that was set up like a school room. And the basement was available for me to play in on a rainy day. I could skate down there. And the front porch was also available when it rained, but that was just for reading.

But the garage...that is where my imagination really let loose. I was a mother to my baby dolls. I was a cook in my pretend kitchen. I think I had three or four of my mother's old dinged pots to play with. And I would use the small charcoal grill as my stove. Small doesn't even describe that grill. I mean it was hibachi size, before hibachis became popular. I arranged the folding chairs into my living room. It was so much fun for me.

I am so looking forward to going home in the spring and taking pictures. Oh, I know nothing is the same, but I'm certain I can find some things that have changed little. I plan to walk, yes walk around the block. It might take me two days to do it (just kidding) and I will be taking pictures along the way. I will go down to the pike and get a few pics as well. Then, if I am able and Alan is able, I'm going to ask him to walk to Triton with me and take pictures along the way.

We used to walk home from Triton on Mondays for Hi-BA, and he would stay for dinner, then his dad would pick him up. I will have someone either take us over to Triton and we'll retrace the steps we used to take, or I'll have someone pick us up at Triton. I don't think we could make the round trip any more. Our legs just don't work that well.


No comments: