RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day parade (Macy's)

When I was growing up, for the first 10 years of my life, we didn't have a television. Well, come one folks, it wasn't invented until after I was born, and dad waited and waited and waited for years before he got one.

Another Thanksgiving tradition, sort of, that took place was watching the Macy's parade. Back then it didn't start as early as it does now, because there were fewer football games on TV and the time block for the parade was later in the morning. When we got home from church we would watch the parade in black and white. While we loved it in black and white, it certainly can't compare to seeing it in "living" color, as we do now.

I kept up that tradition with my own children, two of which, still have that as a Thanksgiving tradition in their own homes.

When we lived in New York (Brooklyn) on year we went to the parade. Crowded. But what a difference to see it up close and personal. You know, it was cold that day, cloudy, raw. I think I prefer watching it on TV.

No comments: