RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Diner


THE DINER was not always a Runnemede landmark. We used to have to go to Bellmawr (The Club Diner), which was a two-mile walk or a 25 cent bus ride if we want to enjoy that type of relaxations. But when THE DINER came to town, my mom's cooking habits changed drastically. Dad liked the diner. Mom no longer had to make breakfast because Dad would go to the post office, pick up the mail, and then head over to THE DINER and get his usual. They all knew him there. And, all this happened after I left home. I only got to enjoy THE DINER when I came home for a short visit.
I can't remember what THE DINER was called before it was revamped (was it the Runnemede diner?) and became Phily Diner (notice that Philly is spelled wrong -- and that has always bothered me). The food didn't change, though. It was still good and the menu, my-my.
Mom's favorite was chicken francaise, dad -- he'd eat anything that didn't have tomato sauce on it -- at the time when the meals were eaten at the diner, his belly could no longer handle tomato sauce, which was a shame because the Phily Diner makes the best veal Parmesan. I always opted for seafood, because we had moved to the Midwest and Red Lobster just doesn't cut it for real seafood. My favorite was stuffed trout, when it was available.
Just so you can see what is available at a NJ diner (all diners have basically the same menu) I've attached the link to the menu at Phily Diner -- are you salivating yet?

1 comment:

toknowhim said...

THE DINER was the Century Diner- I still have an old matchbook from there. I love ya!!!