RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, June 18, 2009

Keeping it going

Mt. Calvary Union Church where my father pastored for 55 years. He left kicking and screaming, but health issues forced him to "retire." This is also the church where I was married. If you wanted to have a small "country" type wedding, this was the place to do that. Seating capacity, 108. A little large than some other country churches, but the ambiance is there. The ramp was added in the early 2000s.

Below is the house where I grew up. It was so tiny, but to us it didn't seem little. I guess just adults can tell the difference between small and large. We never felt cramped, at least I don't think we did. I suppose it was crowded at times, but we didn't care. It was a fact of life that you had large family gatherings and small homes in which to entertain.
The house is a two-bedroom home with a finished attic, to which my sister and I were relegated after daddy had a study built into the back of the church. There was one closet in the whole house. Can you imagine that? And only one bathroom with one pedistal sink, and no shower except for a hose that my dad attached to the spigot. We used "wardrobes" -- pieces of furniture that were made for hanging clothes -- or we just hung our clothes on nails in the wall (my sister and I did this in the attic).
I have posted these pictures because I know you all want me to continue this BLOG. And I am going to do that, but it will take a few weeks, and all the additions to the BLOG will be pictures. I'm thinking of doing a comparison -- pictures of then and now. Or earlier and later. We'll see how it goes, but it's going to take me some time to go through my albums and scan in the pictures to use in the pictorial essays. So please be patient. I'll be back.

So, another ttfn.

2 comments:

wabisabigirl said...

That house is ADORABLE! I love old houses.

Rose said...

It is so like our house. I do hope you can come up with Mama when you visit. I love you! Thanks for keeping this one going :-)