RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Trees

When I was a child, I loved to climb trees. There was a wonderful "climbing" tree in our back yard. It was removed when I was in my early teens. It was up against one of the chicken coops (next door). I loved that tree, and I could climb all the way to the top.

I had a friend. His name was Harry. He became a priest. Not that becoming a priest is relevant to the conversation, here, but he did. Anyway, Harry and I (for a couple of months) spent a lot of time in that tree. I was 6, he was 7. Then, something happened.

I don't know what happened, except school started. Harry still came over for the first few days of school, and we'd climb the tree and pretend we had a tree house -- which we didn't, of course.

Then, it happened. He didn't come any more. Why? Well, I supposed it was because when I was transferred from first to second grade (and he was in that grade), when I acknowledged his presence in the classroom with a small "Hi" and a small, low "wave of the hand", he got embarrassed. He never spoke to me again, unless he had to. And he never returned to our tree house.

So, little girls, pretend that a boy doesn't exist if you want him to enjoy your company away from the classroom or other social/church events.

No comments: