RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lunch in the woods



I found this picture today. It was much, much, smaller. In fact, it was in a box that Alan found of prints that you make when you take a picture -- the very small proofs that amateur photographers develop. I'm going to guess that Alan took the picture, since it was in a box of pictures he had taken on various occasions throughout this life -- yes, throughout his life.

You all know that many times in my young life one of our Uncle Joes would take us out on day trips. Since this is a picture with Uncle Joe Egitto, I'm assuming he was the designated driver on this day and took mom and me and my sister Debbie, and my brother Mark, as well as Aunt Anne on a trip to somewhere. That must have been a very crowded car, because I know Uncle Joe never had a station wagon, but with Alan (whom I am assuming took the picture) that would be seven people piled into an auto. Three in front, four in back.

I dont' recognize the place at all. But I do recognize the clothes I'm wearing. Isn't that odd? I know that the blouse is the color of Hershey's cocoa powder. The pin I'm wearing at the throat is a "sweetheart" pin that Alan gave me in late February of 1961, after he was on a trip to Vermont with his father. I still have the pin. It has a locket attached to it, and in the locket portion of the pin is a picture on one side of me at 16 and Alan at 15. The skirt (why would wear a skirt in the woods?) I made when I was a freshman in highschool. It's what they called a straight skirt, and it was tan, heavy cotton. In those days, though, everything had to be ironed because polyester was the new kid on the block, and wasn't real popular yet.

That's about all I know about this picture, though. My brother Mark is in the back. My sister Deb, on the left is hiding her face, something I was good at too, when I knew someone was taking my picture.

Aunt Anne is looking backward at Mark, and my mom is looking at the camera. Seems to have been a nice day for a picnic.

No comments: