RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, December 20, 2013

Not a creature was stirring

It's very quiet at our present home right now, but it wont be on Sunday.  That's the day my son and his family visit us for their Christmas "DAY" with dad's parents.  I know they will probably be bored most of the time, but we're keeping the time short.  Maybe we'll play Bingo, maybe not.  It's a tradition with the grandchildren no matter what their age to play Bingo, but I'm way behind this year and I don't know whether I'll have Bingo "cards" ready by Sunday. 

Did I have days like this when I was a child?  Well, not exactly.  All of my grandparents were gone, as in passed away, so there wasn't a trip to my grandparents, but...

We did have trips to my Aunt Annie's and then later in Christmas week, a trip to my mom's brother, Joe. 

Aunt Annie's game was Chinese Checkers and we giggled our way through that game.

Then at Uncle Joe's all we cared about was eating Aunt Rita's delicious rigatoni and sausage, and her baked chicken was so good as well, and then, of course she had an anti-pasta and a mixed greens salad.  Yummy. 

I have tried to mixed both events -- games and food -- for my grands and up until this year I have had pretty good success (Alan and I had the stomach flu one year). 

Do I miss my Aunts and Uncles and cousins?  You bet I do.  We had such fun times.  At least that's how I remember it.

I hope you all have pleasant memories of Christmases in the past and that this year you will make another pleasant memory for your family for years to come.

ttfn

No comments: