RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, April 26, 2010

Shoes

As I've mentioned before, the house in which I grew up didn't have much closet space. The home had one small closet for clothes about 4 feet by 1-1/2 feet deep, and a medium sized storage closet in the hall which was 1-1/2 feet wide by 4 feet deep. The storage closet housed the vacuum clean, the Bissel cleaner, and winter coats. The other closet housed my mother's clothing and my sister's and my Sunday dresses.

I would play for hours on the floor of that closet, even with the door closed, in the dark.

However, this is about shoes.

Because there was so little closet space, shoes were stored under our respective beds. My shoes were under my bed, by sister's shoes were under her bed, and my brothers shoes were -- well, I can't remember where they were because they had a trundle bed, and I don't think you could store shoes there. Perhaps they were under the bureau. Anyway, my mom's shoes were on her side of my parent's bed, and dad's shoes were at the foot of their bed.

Now days no one would think of putting their shoes under their bed, would they? I don't have shoe racks in my walk-in closet or any other closet for that matter, and I have always stored my shoes in my closet (since I got married -- before that I didn't have a closet, I had pegs), just neatly lined up on the floor. I watch H&GTV and shoe racks in closets seem to be a must have.

The big question of the day is: What is wrong with storing shoes -- neatly aligned -- under the bed?

ttfn

2 comments:

The Lady of the Holler said...

We take our shoes off at the door so that we don't track mud and dirt into the rest of the house. I suppose if our beds were by the front door, we could keep them under there .....

Judi Hahn said...

You only have one pair of shoes? I'm talking mom's high heels, her work-around-the-house shoes, etc. My father had at least six pairs of shoes. I have two, one for school,one for Sunday. See where I'm going with this?