RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Old Movies

I've been watching a lot of old movies. You know, the old classic black and white movies with "G" ratings?

Yesterday, Alan and I were watching TMC. It was Jennifer Jones day. The first movie I watched was Love Letters. It had a long, convoluted plot, and as usual Alan came out in the last five minutes and wanted to know everything about the movie. He does that a lot.

All through this movie there was music (of course) quietly being played in the background and I would catch snippets of the melody and think, I know that melody, what is it? It alluded me, and I was really getting frustrated and annoyed because I used to know music (tunes) quite well.

Finally, at the end of the movie when they ran the credit, I heard the entire song/tune/melody. It was a song called "Love Letters." Ah, what memories that song brought back to me.

Why is this so memorable for me? And what does it have to do with Runnemede? Well, this particular version of the song came out in 1960, the year Alan went back to Kenya, and it was released shortly after he left the States. And his "love letters" were what kept me happy for three years.

I mentioned in a previous post how I would go to the post office two or three times a day waiting, hoping, praying that there would be a letter from Alan. And rarely I would be running on air as I returned home from the post office -- running the whole way so I could read his letter. I didn't read the letters in the post office or on the way home because, well, it was a small town, and I know everyone in that town that knew me would know that I had received a letter from Alan and want to know the contents. They were private!

I guess people knew anyway, but in my romatic, teenage mind, I was the only one who was privy to the contents and knowledge that I had received this particular letter.

How silly of me. They were, after all, air form letters, which a very particular shade of BLUE so anyone seeing me with a BLUE letter in my hand knew that I had received a letter from Alan!

So, listen to "Love Letters" (linked above) and you'll understand why this particular song was sort of my theme song in 1960 until August 1963.

ttfn

No comments: