RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, August 23, 2007

More on the pike

Well, when I was about seven or so, the Santa House was moved from the firehouse to the Runnemede Town Hall (being elderly I don't recall the name, maybe it was municipal hall). And there was a day in early December when Santa took up residence for an hour or so a day, and you could sit on his lap, tell him what you wanted for Christmas and walk away with a candy cane. Unfortunately, this was in a small town, and a second trip to Santa's lap was not tolerated (by Santa himself, because he remembered a previous visit).

But, I loved living in Runnemede. I loved the small house we lived in. I loved the front porch, and being able to just sit out there on a nice day -- and there were more nice ones than not-so-nice ones -- and read a book. Even in my early years, I loved to read.

No comments: